How to modify default desktop from gnome2.6 to xfce4?

I tried to write a .xinitrc file in my home in order to start xfce4 instead of gnome2.6 but I feel this is not "official" way in debian because after I did I found that ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources does not work on although they are working perfectly in gnome2.6.
Is there any "official" ways to modify default desktop?
And another question:why I can not find "showdesktop" options in xfce4 "add item" on panel?
--

Wasily
Maichao Network Communications