Re: Still cannot install the nvidia driver

Hi Yuen!

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004, Yuen Sum Ng wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>      I have sent email to here to ask help in
> installing the nvidia driver, but I cannot still
> install it after following the successful case. After
> I use the --extract-only option and make install, the
> error message is the following:
>
> -> Kernel module compilation complete.
> ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.
> This is most likely
>        because the kernel module was built using the
> wrong kernel source files.
>        Please make sure you have installed the kernel
> source files for your
>        kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example,
> be sure you have the
>        'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you know the
> correct kernel source
>        files are installed, you may specify the kernel
> source path with the
>        '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> -> Kernel module load error: insmod: QM_MODULES:
> Function not implemented

Have you tried this?

Using stock debian kernel-image.

Install kernel headers with this command.
apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)

Create a sym link that points to the headers:
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-%(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build

Then try to install the drivers by executing the nvidia installer.

This should work for you if you are using a Debian kernel-image.

--
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?

--
 B. L. Jilek F92D0DD1  | Reap the Freedom!  Use Linux!  |  ICQ: 83785391
 bljilek@topazcrow.com |      Check out this site.      |  Yahoo: bljilek