Re: Problems with $PATH and KDE

Vittorio wrote:
> I installed the tetex package from the texlive2003 DVD (the deb
> tetex packages seem to have dependencies problems in my box) and tex
> commands are located under /usr/local/TeX/bin, directory that I
> added both to the PATH in /etc/profile and to ~/.bash_profile.

Since you are installing this yourself into /usr/local I would create
either wrapper scripts or symlinks from there to /usr/local/bin so
that you don't need to do anything with PATH.

> Now if a use xemacs in a shell, in a terminal window auctex is able to find
> the latex and pdflatex commands. In a nutshell it all works correctly.

How did you login to that shell window?  (So that I know how
.bash_profile was sourced.)  What is PATH at that moment?

> Instead if I use the application icon of xemacs on the kde desktop
> it doesn't seem to be aware of the new path I set up, in a nutshell:
> auctex is unable to start the applications latex and pdflatex in
> /usr/local/TeX/bin.

If the above was found on PATH in a terminal window then I would
expect both to have found it on PATH.  But I do think I know the
problem.

> How does it come? What should I do?

The best way is to have user's .xsession files be login sessions.
Assuming bash:

  #!/bin/bash --login
  exec x-session-manager  # or startkde or fvwm or whatever

Make sure it is executable or it will have no effect.

  chmod a+x $HOME/.xsession

Then when you log in with kdm/gdm/xdm make sure you select "default"
and not specifically KDE since selecting KDE avoids reading your
environment files.

Read /etc/X11/Xsession and /etc/X11/Xsession.d/* for details of X
startup especially 50xfree86-common_determine-startup and the option
allow-user-xsession from /etc/X11/Xsession.options.

Bob