Lost my CONSOLE after 2.6.6 upgrade

I just upgraded from 2.4.21 to 2.6.6 on an Athlon machine with a Matrox
G550 video card and when (I assume) it switches to framebuffer mode I
don't have a console anymore.

When I boot I see my BIOS page and then it shows the message that it's
first trying to boot from CD, then it boots from IDE0 and I get the lilo
prompt.  Then when it starts booting linux I see a few normal lines of
the boot process then the screen changes back to the screen that was
before lilo ran -- the screen showing my BIOS setup.  And it stays that
way.

I'm able to (blindly) login and startx, though.

I have a laptop that I upgraded to 2.6.5 a few weeks ago and that works
fine.

I'll include a small selection of my kernel config from the non-working
2.6.6 and from the working laptop 2.6.5.  And also I'll show the same
config options from my previous working 2.4.21.

Update: I just tried again wth all the CONFIG_LOGO_ items disabled,
still same problem.

Any ideas??

moseley@bumby:~$ egrep '(CONSOLE|FB|FRAMEBUFFER|VGA|LOGO)' /boot/config-2.6.6-xfs-athlon | grep -v ^
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_LOGO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

moseley@bumby:~$ ssh laptopwired
Password:+
Linux laptop 2.6.5-xfs-toshiba #1 Sat May 22 19:29:41 PDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Last login: Sat May 29 13:18:47 2004 from bumby

moseley@laptop:~$ egrep '(CONSOLE|FB|FRAMEBUFFER|VGA|LOGO)' /boot/config-2.6.5-xfs-toshiba | grep -v
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_LOGO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

The old 2.4.21:

moseley@bumby:~$ egrep '(CONSOLE|FB|FRAMEBUFFER|VGA)' /boot/config-2.4.21-xfs-athlon | grep -v ^#
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES=y
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y

moseley@bumby:~$ dmesg | egrep -i '(console|vga|framebuffer)'
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
vga16fb: initializing
vga16fb: mapped to 0xf8807000
fb0: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30

moseley@laptop:~$ dmesg | egrep -i '(console|vga|framebuffer)'
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xf0000000, mapped to 0xc8800000, size 8192k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
vga16fb: initializing
vga16fb: mapped to 0xc00a0000
fb1: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org