Problems with $PATH and KDE

Under debian testing I use the standard kde desktop.
I installed the tetex package from the texlive2003 DVD (the deb tetex packages
seem to have dependencies problems  in my box) and tex commands are located
under /usr/local/TeX/bin, directory that I added both to the PATH
in /etc/profile and to ~/.bash_profile.

Now if a use xemacs in a shell, in a terminal window auctex is able to find
the latex and pdflatex commands. In a nutshell it all works correctly.

Instead if I use the application icon of xemacs on the kde desktop it doesn't
seem to be aware of the new path I set up, in a nutshell: auctex is unable to
start the applications latex and pdflatex in /usr/local/TeX/bin.

How does it come? What should I do?

Ciao - Vittorio