kernel upgrade: mkinitrd: module raid1 not found

Hi,

I'm attempting to upgrade from 2.6.2 to kernel 2.6.6, compiling from the
kernel-source package,
make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image modules_image
and trying to install with dpkg -i

This used to work fine, but now I get

Setting up kernel-image-2.6.6-jn040531a (dizzy.1.0) ...
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed
FATAL: Module raid1 not found.
Failed to create initrd image.

My system is indeed running raid1, but raid1 support is compiled into the
kernel (both the current 2.6.2 and the new 2.6.6).

I must admit that I don't understand the details of using or updating
modules; in the past I just did the above steps and everything worked..

This is an extract of 'grep -R raid1 /etc':

/etc/modutils/raidtools2:alias md-personality-3 raid1
/etc/modules.conf:alias md-personality-3 raid1
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases:alias md-personality-3 raid1

I tried to comment out these lines but I still get the error.

Any help appreciated! I guess the raid1 module is not required since it is
compiled into the kernel? If you have any hints, please let me know. Thanks
a lot!

Bob