Unofficial binary Debian packages considered insecure?

I have been looking at a few of the the sites that offer unofficial
debian packages, and I am somewhat confused about the security issues.
I am not a great Linux guru, so I wonder how easy it would be to hide
a rootkit in a binary package and submit it to apt-get.org or
backports.org. Is this a serious risk or am I just being paranoid?

                        Thanks in advance

                                Niels

PS: I realize that I can often use to apt-source, but I like plug-and-play :)

--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/