Re: Unofficial binary Debian packages considered insecure?

gnalle@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard) writes:

> I have been looking at a few of the the sites that offer unofficial
> debian packages, and I am somewhat confused about the security
> issues.

And that's a healthy attitude to take with unofficial packages (or
even official ones if you run sid, which you shouldn't be unless you
have some Debian experience and are willing to put up with the
brokenness).

> I am not a great Linux guru, so I wonder how easy it would be to
> hide a rootkit in a binary package and submit it to apt-get.org or
> backports.org.

Trivial, though I don't know how long your listing will stay up once
they get word that it's a dangerous source.

> Is this a serious risk or am I just being paranoid?

It *is* a risk, however, how much of one depends on the source.  When
in doubt, search Google's various parts (Groups, Web, News in
particular) to see what others are saying about it.  Groups tends to
have the best discussion about such things (since it picks up not only
the Debian mailing lists that get mirrored on USENET, but the rest of
USENET as well).  Web is good to search the various web discussions as
well as any possible information about the sources in question.  News
will get places like Slashdot and mainstream news sources from the
last couple months.  Obviously, if a site is appearing in the News
catagory for the wrong reasons, it's not a source you want to go with.

> PS: I realize that I can often use to apt-source, but I like plug-and-play :)

Huh?  You don't get much more plug-n-play than apt...

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>