Re: configuring alsa drivers on Debian 3.0r2 (2.4.18-bf2.4)

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 11:37, Gary Parker wrote:
[snip]
> When KDE starts I get and error message:
> *** Begin Error message ***
> Sound Server Informational Messsage
>   Error while initializing sound driver:
>   divice /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permisson Denied)
>
>   The sound server will continue, using the null output device
> *** End Error message ***
>
> I changed he permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp0 and added myself to the audio
> group.  Now the error is (no such device).
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Well the first question is, are you getting any sound at all? If you are
then I guess the stock OSS modules are working OK.

When I had this issue recently, also after installing afresh on a 2.4
kernel, the suggestion was to change /etc/discover.conf from

#boot bridge cdrom disk ethernet ide scsi sound usb video
boot all

boot bridge cdrom disk ethernet ide scsi usb video
#boot all

The idea being to stop the OSS sound module from loading which then
prevents the alsa ones from loading afterwards. The sound device is then
reported as busy or missing when you try to use alsa.

Admittedly I haven't used this workaround. I've removed the module for
my soundcard from /kernel/drivers/sound and instead inserted a symlink
to the alsa module for it in /lib/modules/1-2-etc/alsa. Works OK here.

Just guesses.

:)

Fish