Re: /cdrom0 and /dev/cdrom*

"Damon L. Chesser" <dchesser4@cox.net> writes:

> 1:  Why was there a cdrom0 to begin with?

Probably a linux standard base or FHS thing. Seems to remember reading
somewhere that if you had multiple cdrom devices, you would get multiple
cdrom?.

> 2:
> Do I edit this line to make the changes  want?  If so, do I make two
> lines, one for each cdrom device?  Is the %k value = hdc or hdd?

Both actually.  That rules says for each ide device, check the
/proc/ide/<device name>/media.  If it's a cdrom, create the node with
those permissions. %k will be hdc for hdc, and hdd for hdd.

You want to look for the symlink rule that set up the
/dev/cdrom->/dev/cdrom0->/dev/hdc.  If there are no udev rules that set
up the symlink, check one of the scripts in /etc/init.d and see if it's
done there.

--
John L. Fjellstad