/cdrom0 and /dev/cdrom*

Using sid, kernel 2.6.6, udev, hotplub, discover. I noticed from the start (new install) I got a dev/hdc /media/cdrom, and 0 and a /dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 in fstab. I do not use mount point /media so I changed them to /cdrom and /cdrom1, deleting the entry for cdrom0. I have only /dev/hdc (cdwriter) and /dev/hdd (cdreader).

Further: I changed (in fstab) /dev/hdc to mount to /cdrom and /dev/hdd to mount to /cdrom1. This was done to allow players to play audio from the reader and not have to use the writer.

I then modified /dev/cdrom to symlink to /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom1 to symlink to /dev/hdc. I deleted /dev/cdrom0 (symlink to /dev/hdc).

This is what I had.
/dev:
/dev/cdrom->/dev/cdrom0->/dev/hdc /dev/cdrom1->/dev/hdd fstab :
/dev/hdc  /media/cdrom
/dev/hdc  /media/cdrom0
/dev/hdd  /media/cdrom1

This is current.
/dev:
/dev/cdrom->/dev/hdd
/dev/cdrom1->/dev/hdc
fstab:
/dev/hdc /cdrom1
/dev/hdd /cdrom

It worked fine until I rebooted. Then it got weird. in /cdrom appeared a symlink to /cdrom0. /cdrom0 was written to /.

/dev/cdrom->/dev/cdrom0->/dev/hdc
/dev/cdrom1->/dev/hdd

1:  Why was there a cdrom0 to begin with?

2: I think I need to edit /etc/udev.rules to make my changes stick. As far as I can tell this is the line: every thing after the comment line in one line, in case of line wrap.

# permissions for IDE CD devices
BUS="ide", KERNEL="*[!0-9]", PROGRAM="/bin/cat /proc/ide/%k/media", RESULT="cdrom*", NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="cdrom"

Do I edit this line to make the changes want? If so, do I make two lines, one for each cdrom device? Is the %k value = hdc or hdd?

3. Why was there a cdrom0 to begin with?? I realy want to know this answer! Why is it re-writing an entry in / to make /cdrom0 and a symling in /cdrom ??

Thanks for the help. Google for me did not help. No joy on irc channels. I tried to make this as clear and concise as I could.

Damon L. Chesser
dchesser@bigfoot.com