Re: grub fails

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 08:10, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:10:58PM +0300, Cristi Banciu wrote:
> > Johann Spies wrote:
> > >I have a fairly new PC with the following hardware:
> > >messages like "Loading stage1.5" on the screen.
> > >
> > Did you edit /boot/grub/menu.lst according to your kernel ?
>
> Yes.
>
> It never came to the stage that it would try to load the kernel.
>
> > >Does anyone know about a possible incompatibility between grub and
> > >this hardware?
> > No, I have the same hardware and it is working fine with grub.
>
> Good to know that.  I will try again.

Best way to install grub is (assuming Sarge or Sid right now):

apt-get install grub && grub-install /dev/xdx && update-grub

Where xdx ==
  [ [ s | h ]d[ a | b | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | j | k | l]

IOW
   sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sdf, sdg, sdh, sdi, sdj, sdk, sdl
or
   hda, hdb, hdc, hdd, hde, hdf, hdg, hdh, hdi, hdj, hdk, hdl

Once you do those steps, it should boot just fine.

Good luck.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup