Re: Question about installing nvidia driver

Hi James!

On Tue, 25 May 2004, James Ng wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> After I make do the following things, the nvidia-installer can run, but
> I cannot still install the nvidia driver.
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make include/version.h
>
> I do not know how to solve this problem, although someone say that the
> solution is in the README file...
>
> RROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely
> because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
> Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
> kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
> 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
> files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
> '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> -> Kernel module load error: insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> insmod: cannot open /proc/ksyms No such file or directory
> ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
> '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
> on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
> driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I can't find the site I got this from but here it is.

I'm running stock 2.6.5 kernel.

apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-$(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build

Then install the driver.

Hope this helps.

--
The meek shall inherit the earth -- they are too weak to refuse.

--
 B. L. Jilek F92D0DD1  | Reap the Freedom!  Use Linux!  |  ICQ: 83785391
 bljilek@topazcrow.com |      Check out this site.      |  Yahoo: bljilek