Re: Question about installing nvidia driver

James Ng <james_nghk_debian_user <at> yahoo.com.hk> writes:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> After I make do the following things, the nvidia-installer can run, but
> I cannot still install the nvidia driver.
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make include/version.h
>
> I do not know how to solve this problem, although someone say that the
> solution is in the README file...
>
> RROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely
> because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
> Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
> kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
> 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
> files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
> '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> -> Kernel module load error: insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

I just spent a couple of days messing with the Nvidia installer on a new
computer running Woody (2.4.18-bf2.4).

Here is what I did to get X to run:

I had to apt-get kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4.  I also grabbed
kernel-source-2.4.18-bf2.4 though I am not sure it was necessary.

I then ren the installer with options pointing to my headers and install path:
# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run \
--kernel-include-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/ \
--kernel-install-path=/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/video/

I then used "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to configure xfree86.  In
particular to select the xserver as nvidia, remove the dri and Glcore modules
and add the glx module.

Following this:
# modprobe nvidia

Last, I added "nvidia" to /etc/modules