Re: Newvbie hard drive controller question

Zer0bit@yahoo.com wrote:
> Now... can I load the driver up as a module or do I have a kernel
> compile in my future?

Things blur together but I don't think you need too custom of a kernel
for this.  But I know I loaded the blade[1] 2.4.20-bf24 kernel to load
on these systems.  So I suppose the stock Debian 2.4.18 kernel does
not have the right drivers in it or I would have used it instead.

I can send you my kernel config file for 2.4.23 if you find the need
to recompile.  That may give you a head start.

> As an aside, I was also surprised that Debian 'stable' was using
> 2.2. Seems like they should move that out to 'legacy' and move 2.4
> to stable. Oh well..

Stable is *stable* which means only rarely changed.  But 2.4 shipped
with woody.  Just not as the default when you hit enter.  You had to
ask for the 2.4 kernel by name.  Next time be sure to say 'bf24' at
the prompt and don't just hit return.  Hit the function key and read
the online help to see what kernel versions are available.

Bob

[1] http://people.debian.org/~blade/
    Yes, he has posted a severe warning about the compromise possibly
    getting to his kernels there.  But I think the actual likelihood
    of that having happened to be extremely low.  He is just
    protecting himself from people who have nothing better to do than
    to complain.