Re: Newvbie hard drive controller question

Zer0bit@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm new to Debian and I've loaded 2.2.20-compact on a Compaq
> Proliant DL380 that is in a remote location.

I am very sorry to hear that you loaded the linux-2.2 kernel.  Almost
certainly that will come back to cause you trouble.  But it is a
trap.  Debian stable is very old and at that time the linux-2.4 kernel
was very new and not trusted for the release.  But in hindsight the
linux-2.4 kernel has been a very good kernel.

> The DL380 has a SmartArray SCSI RAID controller which is working
> well, it also has two IDE controllers, the on-board Compaq
> controller, and a PCI SIIG "raid" controller. The on-board
> controller works fine, but I am not able to access the PCI card
> based controller which has two WD 120GB drives in a software RAID
> that are used for backup.

Here is the lspci output from one of my DL360s for the disk
controllers.  Are yours similar in your DL380?

  00:04.0 RAID bus controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Smart Array 5i/532 (rev 01)
  00:0f.1 IDE interface: ServerWorks CSB5 IDE Controller (rev 93)

> The PCI controller card was detected at install, but it seems that
> the drivers aren't loaded in the installed kernel as I don't see any
> info in dmesg and can't access the devices attached to the
> controller.
>
> Unfortunatly I don't have much info on the PCI card. I'm 90% sure
> it's a SIIG, but no info other than that. How can I go about
> detecting the controller and getting the right driver loaded so I
> can mount the disk?

  lspci

> I'm hundreds of miles from the server so botching up the kernel
> would be bad...

I hate reinstalling kernels when I have no access to the hardware.
There are so many things that can if they go wrong you must physically
access the box to repair.

Bob