Re: DHCP slow renewal, actually times out but mysteriously still gets an IP

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 10:26:43AM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Steve Allison wrote:

> >>By default, if a DHCP attempt times out, the client will normally
> >>use the last known good address it was given.
> >>
> >>-Roberto Sanchez
> >

> >Does WindowsXP hold onto the last known IP even with a reboot? I
> >havent a clue about the internal workings of the DHCP protocol.
> >Looking at the logs,
>
> I don't know about XP.  But, Debian stores its DHCP leases in a
> file.  When I have shut all my machines down and brought up only
> one or two clients, with no DHCP server on the network, the clients
> pickup their previous addresses even after the reboot.
>
> -Roberto Sanchez

  If you are using a

    default-lease-time 0;

in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf then increase it to see if the problem will go
away. Otherwise I haven't a clue.

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I