Re: Linksys Wireless Router Setup Problem

Emily Dryden wrote:
> I purchased a new Linksys Wireless Router, BEFW11S4 to replace an

Was it new?  Or used?  Thinking it might have old configuration data
in it.  You might want to do a full reset following the instructions
and clear everything back to known factory settings.

> earlier model which was damaged by a lightning caused power surge.  The
> ethernet connections to the router work perfectly but the web based
> setup program to configure the wireless connections wont download.  The
> instructions say enter http://192.168.1.1 in the browser but when I do
> so it either times out or say connecton refused.  I used this address to
> configure the old router with no difficulty.

I have that exact model of device and it all works fine for me.

> Is it possible that debian upgrades have added protections that prevent
> reaching this site?  The system I am using is testing with a 2.4.22
> kernel and Mozilla 1.6-5.

No, I don't think so.

Do you have a firewall configured?

How is your machine obtaining an IP address?  The easiest thing is to
configure DHCP.  I suspect that you have configured a static IP which
is not compatible.  The easiest thing is to use DHCP.  At least to
bootstrap yourself and get running initially.

Check /etc/network/interfaces.

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

Check /etc/resolv.conf.  It should have a good search and IP address
for your domain and your DNS server.  The IP address will not be the
IP of the router but the IP of the DNS server upstream of it.

The following should restart networking and dhcp a new address.  You
don't need to reboot.

  /etc/init.d/networking restart

Or just:

  dhclient eth0