dpkg mysql 4.0.18 and subqueries

Does anyone have experience running successful subqueries with the
debian packages mysql server?

I see from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Subqueries.html the
following.

>14.1.8 Subquery Syntax
>
>A subquery is a SELECT statement inside another statement.
>
>Starting with MySQL 4.1, all subquery forms and operations that the SQL
>standard requires are supported, as well as a few features that are
>MySQL-specific.

I show dpkg -l mysql-server
ii  mysql-server   4.0.18-8       mysql database server binaries

on my box... have people installed the latest mysql-server independently
with ease or is there a newer version upstream being released soon?

Thanks for any info.

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net