Linksys Wireless Router Setup Problem

I purchased a new Linksys Wireless Router, BEFW11S4 to replace an earlier model which was damaged by a lightning caused power surge. The ethernet connections to the router work perfectly but the web based setup program to configure the wireless connections wont download. The instructions say enter http://192.168.1.1 in the browser but when I do so it either times out or say connecton refused. I used this address to configure the old router with no difficulty.

Is it possible that debian upgrades have added protections that prevent reaching this site? The system I am using is testing with a 2.4.22 kernel and Mozilla 1.6-5.

Tom George