400+ unwanted package removal

I am running debian unstable (dist-upgraded from the Sarge Installer) and everything was working fine, until I decided to give aptitude a try.

I normally use apt-get to install single packages or dselect to add lots of packages. After reading good comments I tried using Aptitude to install a few new packages.

Everything seemed to work okay, but after using aptitutude a few times, I found it more confusing to use than dselect (I guess I am so used to dselect after nearly 10 years of use).

Anyway, I went back to deselect and installed a load more packages. When I went to install, I had a big list of packages that would be installed or upgraded, so I did not see the list of pacakges to be removed.

After about 10 packages were removed, I started to get worried. I noticed several packages that should not be removed and Control-c the operation.

I went back and chose the install and checked the list of packages to be removed and there must of been atleast 100 packages that dselect wanted to remove.

When I go back to reset some of the backages so that they will stay installed, they do not have a status as though they are to be removed.

I have even tried apt-get and dpkg -i (on the debs in the archive) and when I run dselect the packages still want to get removed.

I tried to change the package status by using dpkg:

dpkg --get-selections > package.list

This gave me a list of packages, 26 of which were set for deinstall. I changed these to install and did:

dpkg --set-selections < package.list

This did not seem to make any difference. There seems to be a difference in the configuration between dpkg and deselect and aptitude...

At a rough count, dselect wants to remove aprroximately 400 packages...

Now I cannont figure out how to stop these packages from being removed. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Johnny