Re: Restoring /etc/inittab

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 09:09:29AM +0200, Pierg75 wrote:
> Adam Funk wrote:
> >On Wednesday 12 May 2004 17:40, Pierg75 wrote:
> >>Somewhere i read that an alias should never be an alias of itself,
> >>something like alias rm='rm -i'
> >alias ls='ls --color=auto'
> >alias rm='rm -vi'
> >alias cp='cp -vi'
> >alias mv='mv -vi'
> >alias cal='cal -3m'                              # week starts on Monday
> >
> >and I'm sure I got this idea from some reputable Unix books.  This way
> >rm always asks *except* when you use -f.
> It works for sure, because somewhere i use it too.
> I was meaning about the comcept:
> because if you get use of this approach, when you go to work on a
> machine that doesn't have this alias, immagine what you coul do if you
> write rm /etc/apache/* because you are sure (or you don't pay
> attention) that would ask you to confirm.
> Since i read that article (it was on a magazine), i try to don't use
> this kind of aliases and to pay more attention on what i'm doing.

within bash, you could use an alternate kind of aliases in order to
circumvent any reentrance problem under a different OS:

    alias rm='/bin/rm -vi'
    alias cd="builtin cd ${CDHOME}"

Wilko Fokken                           Education is a man's going
Landschaftspolder 67                   from cocksure ignorance
D-26831 Dollart                        to thoughtful uncertainty.