A better sound system than esd and arts?

Does such a beast exist?

Basically I'm looking for something that does mmap whilst still being fast, as opposed to arts which delays all sound by .1 of a second or something.

One thing I would like is Quake 3 compatibility. Sound is the only problem I currently have with Quake 3. I can only get it to work by using artsdsp -m, which is a real system hog, reduces Q3 to unplayable.

Can ALSA do sound mixing all on it's own?

Joe