Re: Orderly shutdown of running programs when quitting X

On Sunday 16 May 2004 12:02 pm, William Ballard wrote:

> Is there a way to run a script before X exits, so that I can more
> gracefully quit apps?  More like Windows; although rude apps such as
> Outlook can "hang" quitting.

I don't know if a way right off to build that into shutdown, but you could
just write a script to go around and kill whatever.  Run it out of userspace.
Then actually shut down after everything that has pending whatevers has
closed out.

I'm not too keen on the way this works either, FWIW.  I see too  many "Do you
want to save?" dialogs flashing by if I just log out in the middle of
something.  I never have really thought about trying to come up with a better
way.  I just close anything I care about before I log out.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/