Re: Exim4 install problem (updated info)

Wayne Topa(brittman@capital.net) is reported to have said:
>   I have, finally, upgraded to exim4 and have run into a problem.
> I have checked the archives, back to June of 2003, and seem to be the
> only one that has this problem, so it must be my screwup.
>
>   I am on dialup and retrieve mail using Mailfilter/Fetchmail.  Yhe
> mail is hung up in the exim4 spool and I am unable to get it forwarded
> to my mailboxes.  The errors messages are as follows.
>
> For mail going to me
> /usr/bin/procmail <wtopa@localhost> R=userforward T=address_file defer
> (13): Permission denied: creating lock file hitching post
> /usr/bin/procmail.lock.buddy.mtntop.home.40a4cc88.00000b41 (euid=1000
> egid=1000)
>
> for mail going to root (which with exim 3 was forwarded to use boss
> via the .forward file in root)
> /usr/bin/procmail <root@buddy.mtntop.home> R=userforward
> T=address_file defer (-29): User 0 set for address_file transport is
> on the fixed_never_users list
>
> As exim4 replaced my old /etc/aliases file, the current one looks like
> this:
>
> brittman@capital.net:  wtopa@localhost
> postmaster: boss
> root: boss
>
> daemon: root
> bin: root
> <rest are all =root>
> mailer-daemon: boss
>
> I have tried both methods of configuration but can't seem to find any
> file in /etc/exim4 that I can modify to solve this problem.
>
> Thank God for mutt as I can still get the mail but sure would like to
> get the fetchmail part working.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers as to what I must have screwed up.
>
> Wayne

Updated info:

Local users who use exim in .forward files _do_ receive mail.

Local users who use procmail _do not_ recieve their mail. There
.forward has only 1 line.  "/usr/bin/procmail".

~#  newaliases does not update /etc/aliases after changes are made
to /etc/aliases.txt.  (used to in exim 3 as I recall)

I have a procmail_pipe transport and procmail router in
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template.  As we don't use maildir I have
commented that out in exim4.conf.template.

Here is the result of exin4 -bt on some users

Users that do not receive mail:

VT1 root-3-Buddy:/etc/exim4# exim -bt boss
R: system_aliases for boss@buddy.mtntop.home
R: userforward for boss@buddy.mtntop.home
boss@buddy.mtntop.home -> /usr/bin/procmail
  transport = address_file

VT1 root-3-Buddy:/etc/exim4# exim -bt wtopa
R: system_aliases for wtopa@buddy.mtntop.home
R: userforward for wtopa@buddy.mtntop.home
wtopa@buddy.mtntop.home -> /usr/bin/procmail
  transport = address_file

VT1 root-3-Buddy:/etc/exim4# exim -bt root
R: system_aliases for root@buddy.mtntop.home
R: userforward for root@buddy.mtntop.home
root@buddy.mtntop.home -> | /usr/bin/procmail
  transport = address_pipe

Users that do receive mail:

VT1 root-3-Buddy:/etc/exim4# exim -bt wayne
R: system_aliases for wayne@buddy.mtntop.home
R: userforward for wayne@buddy.mtntop.home
wayne@buddy.mtntop.home -> /home/wayne/mail/admin
  transport = address_file

VT1 root-3-Buddy:/etc/exim4# exim -bt linda
R: system_aliases for linda@buddy.mtntop.home
R: userforward for linda@buddy.mtntop.home
R: procmail for linda@buddy.mtntop.home
R: maildrop for linda@buddy.mtntop.home
R: local_user for linda@buddy.mtntop.home
linda@buddy.mtntop.home
  router = local_user, transport = mail_spool

Users linda & wayne use the exim .forward and neither are listed in
/etc/aliases.  I don't know why linda's results are different then wayne's
in the -bt result but they both receiving local mail.

Wayne

--
DOS Tip #2: Add BUGS=OFF to your CONFIG.SYS