Safe to compile/install 2.6.6 kernel on Sarge? + options

Should it be possible to safely compile and install a 2.6.6 kernel on
Sarge with a 2.6.3 kernel running?  The options for this kernel are a
little confusing.  I know there is a native ATA/ATAPI driver now so
that ide-scsi is no longer needed (but will removing generic SCSI
support render cdrecord & co. useless?)

I'll backup the various bits in /boot and keep the old entries in
grub's menu.lst, and what about the modules?  Before I go ahead and
compile and install, if it's generally safe to do so, will
the /lib/modules/modprobe.conf need to be backed up?  It seems to be
global, so that it's applicable regardless of kernel version.  Maybe
it doesn't really change from version to version... do I need to make
sure of certain configuration items in there depending on which
kernel version I have?

Thanks very much.
:)