Re: Newbie question..

 On Wednesday 12 May 2004 22:14, Silvan wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2004 09:24 pm, Ishwar Rattan wrote:
> > I just installed debian from Knoppix-3.4 CD. Seems to work.
> >
> > I want to add tetex packages to the system. I read the man pages
> > but picture is not clear.
> >
> > Would any some kind soul list the steps needed (in order) to get the
> > tetex and related packages (from stable packages on www.debian.org or
> > some other repository) and install them?
>
> Knoppix is based on either Unstable or Testing.  I forget which.

I think it is a mixture of the two.

> What you want to do is create a file to tell apt where to look to grab new
> packages.  This file is called /etc/apt/sources.list so you need to make
> one if you don't have one already.

Knoppix does create one, and it should be enough to get you moving. It
includes sources for stable, testing and unstable. It is true that you will
get a string of "404 not found" errors, but enough of them work to start
with.  You can get advice from the experts here about how to improve it.
[...]
> You should also probably start off using aptitude instead of apt-get to
> install everything.
>
> 	http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=983&cid=12291

I certainly second that!  aptitude is an excellent tool.  Do
   apt-get update
...and when it is ready for you:
   apt-get install aptitude

(I have just tested this on a new Knoppix install without editing the
sources.list.  It works.)
[...]
>  Have fun!

I second that too.