Re: Newbie question..

richard lyons wrote:

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 22:14, Silvan wrote:
On Wednesday 12 May 2004 09:24 pm, Ishwar Rattan wrote:

I just installed debian from Knoppix-3.4 CD. Seems to work.

I want to add tetex packages to the system. I read the man pages
but picture is not clear.

Would any some kind soul list the steps needed (in order) to get the
tetex and related packages (from stable packages on www.debian.org or
some other repository) and install them?
Knoppix is based on either Unstable or Testing.  I forget which.

I think it is a mixture of the two.
What you want to do is create a file to tell apt where to look to grab new
packages.  This file is called /etc/apt/sources.list so you need to make
one if you don't have one already.
You need the 'sarge' lines which Knoppix will have.
The packages you are after are tetex-bin, tetex-base, and tetex-extra.
Installing Lyx-xforms if you are using a pc, or if it's a ppc, Lyx-qt, also helps.
The documentation is very good.
Regards,

David.