Re: disks are hot hot hot

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 03:35:29PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently built my first ever server with a pre-compiled kernel (2.6.4
> from backports.org).  I had two 160GB SATA disks which both failed after only
> a couple of months.  I found this extremely strange, unless they were
> from a bad batch (not likely in this day and age).  They've gone back to
> my supplier as faulty anyway.
>
> One thing I did notice is that the disks were rather hot, abnormally imo.
> The server is hardly stressed, as it's pretty much providing DNS, SMTP,
> and IMAP for all of one user!  :)  Motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X.
>
> What I am wondering is, is there some type of power saving mode /
> setting that I might have missed, a module perhaps?  Or do these new
> fangled disks just run very hot?  I've replaced them with two Samsung
> 160GB PATAs, and they're quite warm after only an hour or so, but
> admittedly they are doing a RAID sync.

I don't know much about SATA or PATA, but power saving modes shouldn't
normally be needed with desktop/server HD. Spinning them down isn't
recommended since desktop disks usually have a limited lifetime in
terms of spin-downs (although I've heard some disks like to the head to
be parked once a week or so for lubbing reasons).

Anyway, more to the point, I think you should check your fan. In such a
setup you may need an extra fan for the disks or the case. (could be the
cpu is running very warm or the case isn't cooled enough.

Another thing that can be hard on the disks is power surges. Make sure
you have a good PSU in there and a UPS can also be a good idea if you
don't have one.