catting binary data (was Re: mouse doesnt work in console)

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 05:05:05AM -0400, Andres LG wrote:

> When I put
> $cat /dev/psaux
> I get a lot of garbage on the screen, so I am sure it is the right device.

Use hexdump/hd (in the bsdmainutils package) to read binary data ,
rather than simply catting it which will most likely break your
terminal, and could actually cause data loss.

$ hd /dev/psaux
(wiggle the mouse)

And if you get output consistent with your wiggling, then the mouse is
ok.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/