Re: 2.6 and nvidia

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 05:07:05PM +1000, Mal Beaton wrote:
> I used the nvidia installer and I use  a 2.6.5 kernel
> didnt miss a beat

You're lucky then! The problem I ran into has actually been documented. Do
a google search for, "nvidia debian 2.6" and hit the "I feel lucky
button." Then under "Troubleshooting" you'll see the problem I ran
into--not sure how to copy and paste the URL from the console, sorry. In
any case, I installed nvidia-glx before I should have and that's why I ran
into problems. I appear to now be committed to my mistake....which would
be fine if I could figure out why X says that I no longer have a screen
that works. (What's the new stuff in the kernel that has to do with screen
resolution? I probably messed up somewhere around there...when I did my
make oldconfig)

I've got everything compiled now for the 2.6.5 (except my wireless isn't
working yet, not sure why though). But X is still throwing up errors and
my nvidia module isn't listed under lsmod. It's there under
/lib/modules/[etc]/nvidia.ko, but I can't probe it (why is everything .ko
now instead of .o?). I do have module-init-tools, and there are other
modules loaded, so I'm not sure why nvidia's refusing to play nicely.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]