Re: jackd/ardour setup problem

On Sun, 09 May 2004 13:20:33 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:

> I am using a 2.6.3 kernel with ALSA modules and a PCI EMU10K1 module.
> Sound is perfect - that is, a phonograph input to the sblive card and
> output from the sblive card to a stereo system works, workbone can play
> a CD and wavp can play a wav file.
>
> lsmod reports snd_emu10k1, snd_pcm used by snd_pcm_oss and snd_emu10k1
> plus a lot of other snd_ entries.

In general, it's a good idea to list them all; but in this case, it
probably won't be necessary.

> jackd  -v -d alsa runs - i.e. I must stop it with ctl-c - but Ardour
> aborts with a message that it cannot connect to jack.  A sample of the
> jack output is attached.

First, let's just deal with this case, the simplest.  When you run jackd,
what user are you running it as?  And when you run Ardour, what user
are you running it as?  I got this problem at one point because I was
running jackd as root (in order to take advantage of realtime scheduling),
but Ardour as a regular user.  They have to be the same user.

If that's not the case, put Ardour aside for the moment and try out
some other jackd clients, like Hydrogen or Rosegarden4.  Do they
connect with jackd ok?  The patchbay in qjackctl is invaluable for
checking this stuff.

-c

P.S.  You are *much much* more likely to get help with this on the
linux-audio-user mailing list than here.  Issues with ardour and
jackd are the staple of that mailing list.  In contrast, while
they may have been discussed here before, I've *never* seen them
discussed here.

		(remove "snip-me." to email)