Re: Upgrading Debian

On Saturday 08 May 2004 02:23 am, cr wrote:

> For me, the clincher was when the phone company tech came to check, went
> out to the junction box in the street, disconnected the line from the
> exchange - crackle stopped - and reconnected it - crackle restarted.    And
> then the tech told me it must be something in _my_ equipment.    I suppose
> that's the official line.      :(

Whee.  Well, I can sympathize.

> > I make the house payments, so anybody else living here can get over it.
> > :)

> You are obviously not married   <g>

Am so!  :)  Happily even.  She knew I was a geek when she married me, and it
was never an issue.  I guess I had pretty much been keeping the phone tied up
for hours at a time since '93 or so.  Now that it rings, we don't know what
to do with it.

> > Indeed.  For me it was a question of time.  36 hours is a long time, but
> > still faster than waiting several days for CDs to arrive in the mail.
> > Cheaper too, for me.

> Two different sorts of time.   Your method gets you updated sooner.   Mine
> takes longer but uses very little of my time while waiting.   (And I do
> shop around to get CD's at the best price).

Well, my method wasn't really using any of my time either.  It's not like I
sat there and watched the thing count ever so slowly.  :)

But you have metered service, so there's little question that CDs must really
be the only practical option for you.  That makes further beating of that
dead horse pretty pointless, I suppose.

The main thing is that you've found a way to do what you want, and you have
the good sense to be running Debian.  :)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/