Re: No windowmanager when using vnc?

Rich Stanton wrote:
I'm running debian stable on a headless system.  I've installed (among
others) 'vncserver.'  However when I run 'vncserver -geometry 1024x768' and
connect to the display using the tightvnc viewer (on a windows client) I get
a window with a mottled grey background and an 'X' shaped cursor, but
nothing else.  I can move the cursor but neither mouse button seems to do
anything - it's almost as though X is running but has no windowmanager.  I
created the file 'xstartup' in ~/.vnc and put the following into it:

#!/bin/sh

wmaker

I have a ~/.xinitrc file with a single line:

WindowMaker

That does the trick for me.

-Roberto Sanchez