Re: Mutt's internal pager and accented characters

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:11:11PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:53:33AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I find it simplest by far to run mutt in a UTF-8 locale, at which point
> > it can deal with accented characters from a wide range of languages
> > without me having to intervene further. You'll need a terminal emulator
> > that can cope (I have personal experience of pterm and uxterm) and a
> > suitable font (your terminal emulator may or may not sort this out for
> > you; with pterm it's easiest to pick a font).
>
> Regardless of whether I'm using pterm or Eterm switching to UTF-8  does
> not solve any problems. In fact it CREATES more problems! Setting mutt to:
> 	set charset="utf-8"
> gives me a capital A with a ~ on top instead of correctly mapping as lower
> case a with an accent grave on top.

I don't use 'set charset'; I simply make sure that the terminal is
running in UTF-8 mode and that my locale is UTF-8. mutt seems to just
work at that point.

> > > according to /usr/share/doc/mutt/README.Debian
> 	<snip>
> > > But I've tried setting the LC_CTYPE="fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15" to no avail.
> >
> > That's not a legal value for LC_CTYPE, incidentally;
> > LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.ISO-8859-15 would be better, or (if you take my approach)
> > LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 for Unicode.
>
> Where would I get legal values for LC_CTYPE? The instructions said to read
> my /etc/locale.gen file and what I have is definitely listed there.
> fr_CA ISO-8859-1
> fr_CA.UTF-8 UTF-8
> fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> fr_FR.UTF-8@euro UTF-8
> fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

The format of that file is <locale> <charset>. Entries in the left-hand
column should be legal LC_CTYPE values, although they're not the only
possible values.