Mutt's internal pager and accented characters

Hi everyone,

I'm having a difficult time of this one...I can read accented characters
when I reply to a message (ISO-8859-15), but I cannot view them.

according to /usr/share/doc/mutt/README.Debian
l10n support
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want to see non-ASCII characters on a Debian system, there's no
use fiddling with the variable "charset", as described in the manual
page muttrc(5).
Instead, you'll need to have the Debian package "locales" installed on
your system and set the LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variable.
e.g. US users will want to add "export LC_CTYPE=en_US" to their ~/.bashrc.
If you have a /etc/locale.gen file read carefully the comment and do
what it says, or it will not work.
No, linux systems do not need --enable-locales-fix or --without-wc-funcs,
so don't bother me saying these switches cure your problems.
---------

But I've tried setting the LC_CTYPE="fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15" to no avail.

I read through this thread but wasn't able to find a solution. I know the
thread is 3 years old, but I'm having the same problems they were having.

My mutt is the latest unstable. I can read accents only on a "reply", I
cannot read them in the pager. If I switch the pager to less, the accents
appear, but I want the standard pager that leaves a few messages at the
top.

thanks for your suggestions!
emma

I have the following locales set: