Re: Mutt's internal pager and accented characters

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:34:43AM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I'm having a difficult time of this one...I can read accented characters
> when I reply to a message (ISO-8859-15), but I cannot view them.

I find it simplest by far to run mutt in a UTF-8 locale, at which point
it can deal with accented characters from a wide range of languages
without me having to intervene further. You'll need a terminal emulator
that can cope (I have personal experience of pterm and uxterm) and a
suitable font (your terminal emulator may or may not sort this out for
you; with pterm it's easiest to pick a font).

> according to /usr/share/doc/mutt/README.Debian
> l10n support
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> If you want to see non-ASCII characters on a Debian system, there's no
> use fiddling with the variable "charset", as described in the manual
> page muttrc(5).
> Instead, you'll need to have the Debian package "locales" installed on
> your system and set the LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variable.
> e.g. US users will want to add "export LC_CTYPE=en_US" to their ~/.bashrc.
> If you have a /etc/locale.gen file read carefully the comment and do
> what it says, or it will not work.
> No, linux systems do not need --enable-locales-fix or --without-wc-funcs,
> so don't bother me saying these switches cure your problems.
> ---------
>
> But I've tried setting the LC_CTYPE="fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15" to no avail.

That's not a legal value for LC_CTYPE, incidentally;
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.ISO-8859-15 would be better, or (if you take my approach)
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 for Unicode.