Re: After dist-upgrade no Icewm - Solved

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:01:44AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have actually run dist-upgrade on several occasions without rebooting.
> This morning I rebooted and found gdm no longer offered icewm in the
> session options.  I switched to xdm (had to edit /etc/init.d/xdm as
> changing /etc/X11/default-display-manager had no effect) but this does
> not solve the problem as the xdm/debian log in does not offer any
> session options.  How to I get icewm back?
>
> Tom George

After puzzling through the many X11 files I realized that all I had to
do was create a .xsession file in my home directory with the one line
entry "exec icewm".

As to my earlier comments about the "lecture" I understand the problem
but I think the "do your homework first" while fine for those of us who
can - and, admittedly I can when pressed to do so - will prevent debian
linux from ever becomming everyman's desktop solution.  When you have a
working desktop which disappears after an upgrade the natural response
is "What have you done to my system?" not "I wonder what they changed?
I better do my homework before asking questions."