Re: sid or sarge where I am

On Thursday 06 May 2004 14:13, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Kevin Murphy <> writes:
>  > > I find the  mixture  of distribution a  little  confusing and  may  be
>  > > dangerous.   Anyhow  this  is   subject   of an   entirely   different
>  >
>  > In my personal experience, running a hard-drive installation of Knoppix
>  > was indeed hazardous.  Updates would often make things out of whack.
>  > I'm now running straight 'testing' and having a better experience.
>
> That I would like to do as well. So did you do as said earlier:
> >If you want to revert to one distro, it is probably safer to only have
> >unstable in your sources.list.  and do apt-get update followed by
> >apt-get dist-upgrade.
> >
>  > AFAIK, Knoppix is not intended to be an updatable distribution.  It is a
>
> Right, I have seen discussion about this subject in Knoppix mailing
> list. However as a matter of fact, due to it's excellent hardware
> recognization more and more users tend to use Knoppix as an
> installation tool for debian.

Yes, I'm one such.  I'm just now waiting for my latest Knoppix to hard disk
install to complete - on the third or fourth box I've done that.  I shall
then change sources.list to all-unstable as this has been a comfortable route
on the other boxes.  The new improved hard-disk installer is very good.

The downside is the need to spend a couple of hours in aptitude pruning out
what I don't want and putting back what I do - but that is something that can
be done over time.

The upside is the hardware recognition and starting off with a trouble-free
working system. -- Bit like buying a house with a fully equipped kitchen and
carpets and curtains in place.  Move in and take your time deciding what to
change.

--
richard