Re: HELP! - My linux server won't boot anymore

On Thursday 06 May 2004 08:28, Daniel F Garcia shoved this in my mailbox:
[...]
> kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)
>
> I did a search on google and there werelots of messages suggesting I
> edit my lilo.conf, but how do I do that If I cannot boot up ?

I had something similar once, (not really, since I screwed up my lilo
manually ;) ).

Here's what I did, get Knoppix (knoppix.org) if you don't already have it.
Boot from the knoppix disk, mount your root filesystem. Chroot into it. Edit
your lilo configuration. Get out of the chroot jail, unmount the filesystem.
Reboot and remove the knoppix disk.
That's the short version, but you may want to look at this step-by-step guide:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/knoppix/knoppix_rescue.htm

It's a breeze, and very good for your confidence ;)

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.