Re: debian & dhcp

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 12:54 am, Mauricio wrote:
>          dhcp question:  my IPX running debian 3 is using my netbsd
> box as its dhcp server.  Well, I changed some stuff in the netbsd box
> including the IP for the IPX.  How do I release/renew the dhcp
> without restarting the debian box?

Probably the same way I release/renew DHCP when I have cable problems.  After
a glitch, I let the modem re-negotiate its bit, and then I get it working
again with

	ifdown eth0
	ifup eth0

Substitute whatever your proper interface is for "eth0"

Sometimes ifdown fails.  I haven't figured out why.  The interface gets stuck
in limbo, neither up nor down.  In that case, I've found

	ifdown eth0
	ifconfig eth0 down
	ifup eth0

usually takes care of it.  I have no deep understanding of how any of this
works, but it does the trick.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/