Re: How to transfer a 2Gb file Linux -> Windows?

Joerg Johannes wrote:

Am Di, den 04.05.2004 schrieb Jonathan Melhuish um 13:37:
<snipped problems listing>
I seem to be finding that rather a few Linux apps still have 2Gb file
size limits :-(

As you were at least able to download and store these large files under
Linux, it seems more that Windows has 2GB limitation. This is true for
all FAT partitions. Only NTFS volumes can deal with files larger than
that under Windows. Problem: You can't (at least per default) write to
them from linux.

Only the FAT (aka FAT16) FS has the 2gig file size limit. FAT32 and NTFS support larger files (fat32 up to 4 gigs, NTFS is 2TB if I remember correctly. See MS's documentation at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp for info.)

I would check that the XP machine is using NTFS or FAT32; If you can write to it, I'm guessing that it's FAT since NTFS writing support is ... not optimal right now AND you keep hitting a 2 gig hard limit.

Upgrade the winXP machine to FAT32 and then copy the files over. Do not upgrade the machine to NTFS or you will probably not be able to write to it at all. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/maintaining/tips/beginner/fat32.asp for info on how to convert to FAT32 from FAT16.

As far as getting the data over, I'd recommend you use WinSCP3 or cygwin's ssh.

--
David Piniella
University of Miami