Re: spawn of debian: choosing a live-boot CD distro

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 08:19:42PM -0500, dircha wrote:
> Will Trillich wrote:
> >ultimately what we're after is a debian-based install that does
> >server functions (email, web, database) that has GOOD DETECTION
> >ROUTINES at install, such as
> >
> >	knoppix
> >	morphix
> >	lilbranet
> >	mepis
> >	xandros
> >
> >any opinions on using these to detect hardware, install, and
> >serve, serve, serve?

> It sounds as though your problem is in installing Debian on diverse
> systems rather than having to go through the hassle of installing it on
> a lot of machines, so I'm sure you don't want to here "just image the
> drives".

quite right.

> You say that you don't want GUI/desktop software.
>
> With morphix, have you considered using its main/mini module
> system to create a customized morphix boot CD appropriate for
> headless operation with the services you need, or even
> creating your own mini modules for it?

that's how we've managed to get as far as we have, but it's
still got GUI flotsam by default, when you do the install.  (the
cd boots into X, so i suppose it seems natural to install X on
the hard drive.)

plus, it's based on unstable (last i checked) which is more
stable than most OSes out there :) but clients get rankled at
names like that...

i suppose morphix is the closest thing to an autodetect/server
install available. (tho we hear good things about MEPIS...)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #26 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Do you want a CONSOLE with more than 80 COLUMNS OR 24 ROWS?
Experiment with various settings from /etc/TextConfig for use
with "SVGATextMode":
	SVGATextMode 80x30x9
Try "apt-get install svgatextmode" to get it. (It won't work with
xterm or rxvt, of course -- only text-mode console display.)