Re: Anacron vs. cron.

On 05/01/04 13:20, R. Clayton wrote:
I've discovered that cron.daily isn't being run (the locate database is 8 days
old (I ran updatedb manually at one point), /usr/lib/man-cb/mandb hasn't been
updated since 15 August 2003, and so on).  The command for daily in
/etc/crontab is

  test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --verbose /etc/cron.daily

which, to my eyes, checks for /usr/sbin/anacron and, if it exists (which it
does), does nothing; it's only when /usr/sbin/anacron doesn't exist that
/etc/cron.daily runs.  Because I can't figure out how anacron gets run (there's
no crontab entry I can find), this strikes me as wrong, but maybe I just don't
understand.
Does anybody know what the story is here and, more importantly, how I can get
daily cron jobs back (as well as weekly and monthly jobs, because their
commands are of the same form)?  Of course, I could just uninstall anacron (or
rewrite crontab), but is that recommended?  If not, what is?

man anacron does a good job describing the functions. /etc/anacrontab contains the default config.

Being new to linux, I had to apt-get install anacron after weeks of attempting to find a better way of allowing cron to do its work; I was manually editing /etc/crontab each day when I booted up. My linux gurus didn't know what to do with me because they ran their boxes all the time.

apt-get install anacron automatically set up everything. I didn't have to touch a thing. Just read the docs first. I was very surprised to see anacron running the scripts automatically 5 minutes after I installed it, but that's exactly what was supposed to happen.

Regards,
Ralph