Re: Activating ls colors by default

Bob Proulx wrote:
Markus Lindström wrote:

I'm trying to find a way to make bash use ls colors by default, on all virtual consoles. It seems my ~/.bashrc has this activated, but it only uses it on any virtual terminal I create in X.

Please be specific.  What does "activated" mean?  Does it mean that
you have this following alias in your ~/.bashrc file?

    eval `dircolors -b`
    alias ls='ls --color=auto'

Yes, that's the behavior I'm trying to obtain.

When users are created the /etc/skel directory skeletons of start-up
files are copied into the user directory.  One of those is the .bashrc
file.  See /etc/skel/.bashrc for the copy that was the default user
file when you created the user.  See that it turns on ls --color=auto
by default.  Which implies that you had color, but at some point
turned it off by editing your ~/.bashrc file.

Odd... I never touched my ~/.bashrc file, yet it's different from /etc/skel/.bashrc, but the problem is that this file also activates ls colors. Yet, nothing happens in the virtual consoles.

I need to identify the config file that bash uses in the virtual consoles. Any ideas on this?

//Markus.