Re: Changing the language of GDM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:00:28 +0200, Kristian Niemi wrote:

> I'm trying to get gdm to speak Swedish, instead of English.
>
> * I have dpkg-reconfigured locales to sv_FI@euro
>
> That didn't change the way gdm worked, even though the chosen system
> language is Swedish. *But* if I restart gdm as root, then it runs in
> Swedish. So obviously it recognizes the language, and `knows how to
> speak it' -- but how do I make it work without restarting gdm as root?
>
> (Root uses the system-language; hasn't got any LANG or LC_* modifiers
> anywhere, as some other users have...)
>

> Kristian

You restarted GDM as root exactly once, without rebooting your computer,
etc... between then and asking your question. Correct?

GDM was still remembering the old locale settings before you restarted it
as root, and when you restarted it as root that made it switch to the new
locale settings. From now on, it should choose Swedish correctly because
that's going to be the locale when it starts.