Changing the language of GDM

I'm trying to get gdm to speak Swedish, instead of English.

* I have dpkg-reconfigured locales to sv_FI@euro

That didn't change the way gdm worked, even though the chosen system language is Swedish. *But* if I restart gdm as root, then it runs in Swedish. So obviously it recognizes the language, and `knows how to speak it' -- but how do I make it work without restarting gdm as root?

(Root uses the system-language; hasn't got any LANG or LC_* modifiers anywhere, as some other users have...)

Kristian