Re: Mouse in command line

Rex Chan wrote:

-  Kent West <westk@acu.edu> [2004-04-28 07:23:18 -0500]:

You'll need to configure it to repeat the mouse data (either as "raw" or as "ms3" I believe; IIRC, the author of gpm or some other person in the know says "ms3" should be the correct choice, although until I read that post (search archives over the past year) I had always used "raw" and it worked for me), and you'll need to reconfigure the mouse in X to read mouse input from /dev/gpmdata instead of wherever it's currently reading (/dev/input/mice? /dev/psaux?). Although in the past year or so, the "/dev/input/mice" may have become "magic" enough to handle reading from gpm and might now be the canonical mouse location for X.

Hmm... I just tried this out with my usb mouse.
I got gpm working pretty easily, using gpmconfig...
Set repeating type to ms3 and protocol to imps2

I put set the device under X as /dev/gpmdata but that didn't work out
So i set it back to /dev/input/mice and it was all good.

However, it seemed like from the posts that X should have worked
perfectly with the /dev/gpmdata line.
That's good to know; I'm glad you did the experiment. According to the GPM maintainer, Zephaniah Hull (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg00887.html):

  I have said it MANY times, and I will say it again.

  There is exactly ONE protocol which it is valid to talk to gpm over
  /dev/gpmdata with, and that protocol is NOT PS/2.

  No matter how much people scream and yell about how it works fine,
  this is a perfect example of why trying to use a bi-directional
  protocol over a fifo DOES NOT WORK.

  The protocol you need to use is the one gpm calls ms3, X calls it
  IntelliMouse, which is the serial version of the IMPS/2 protocol,
  however it is NOT bi-directional, it has 3 buttons, a wheel, and it
  is safe to use over the fifo.

I don't know the context of his rant (his term, not mine), nor if it applies to /dev/input/mice as well as to /dev/gpmdata, but thought I'd throw it in here for completeness.

--
Kent