Re: Sarge and kde

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:07:33PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> I've always wondered if there could be a page of package status for lets
> say KDE or other big packages. So, when packages are upgraded, some
> script checks to see if kde is installable in $FLAVOR and has a 'green
> light' if it is and a 'red light' if it isn't. This would be updated

In principle once a package has been uploaded to unstable (or stable)
it must be installable in unstable (or stable, respectively),
otherwise it'd be a serious bug. So watching the BTS (possibly using
apt-listbugs) might help here.

Testing works a little bit differently as packages more or less
automagically migrate from unstable to testing following the rules
documented at <http://www.debian.org/devel/testing>. Because of this
testing might be broken at some time when different pieces of software
don't play well together.
WRT to the transition to testing Björn's page really does a good job
at giving information, for one KDE metapackage please see
<http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=kdeartwork>
as well as the links provided.

> very little for stable, more for testing and the most for unstable.
> And may be a 'note' saying that dependeny X, Y and Z are
> not available yet for $PKG.

Also check <http://packages.qa.debian.org/k/kdeartwork.html>.

I'm not sure whether you might expect packages, once uploaded to
unstable, to be installable on every flavour of Debian.
It doesn't work like this, generally packages are solely uploaded for
unstable and expected to (more or less) work in unstable, but those
packages are not necessarily expected to be installable in testing or
stable at the same moment.
Basically the only exception to this are security updates as provided
in DSAs and serious bugfixes as provided in point releases (like
3.0v2).

If I've missed your point please tell me,
HTH,
Flo