Re: Nautilus CD burner

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 15:41, Keir Lawson wrote:
> > Thats interesting...I can do that without switching to root. Try looking
> > at the output of the id command.
> >
> > I have a sneaking suspicion that is that you dont have permission to
> > read and write to your CD device. I dont want to hand out the answer to
> > a good practice problem like this one, so here's your homework ;o)
> >
> > Check the permissions of the device representing your CD-RW drive and
> > decide what you will have to do to give yourself access to the device.
> > Hint: you shouldnt have to modify the permissions of the device itself.
> ive changed the permissions, however the drive doesnt show up in
> nautilus-cd-creator as root or a normal user despite this change

What groups are you a member of? Usually, the cdrom group has read/write
permissions on cdrom devices, and the disk group has the same
permissions on disks.

what are the permissions on your CD-RW device? The permissons on mine
are as follows.

david@zepto:~$ ls -l /dev/scd0
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/scd0

david@zepto:~$ id
uid=1000(david) gid=1000(david)
groups=6(disk),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),40(src),50(staff),60(games),100(users),1000(david)

The symptoms you have described sound an awful lot like a permissions
problem, but I suppose it could be something else.

If it's not, then I'm not really sure what else to advise you to try. It
looks like there are two variations of this problem posted to the BTS,
so its possible that it really is a bug in Nautilus CD-creator.

I'm using kernel v2.6 and not using ide-scsi, and it is working fine for
me. You could try that.

-davidc